Oceans/Celestial Navigation Online Course
U.S COAST GUARD APPROVED
This course is delivered on Northeast Maritime Online or NEMO°, our learning management system, with follow-up on-site examination/assessments scheduled at Northeast Maritime Institute, as required by the U.S. Coast Guard.
The Oceans Navigation/Celestial Navigation 500/1600 GRT Blended Course covers all subject matter content required for an Oceans Endorsement. Upon completion of the online content, students will be required to complete proctored examinations at Northeast Maritime Institute.
A 1-1/2 day session for review and exam is included in the course price. If you will need additional support and tutoring, you can purchase additional time with a qualified NMI instructor prior to taking the exams.
We have included a relevant math review section at the beginning of the course, covering topics and formulas useful for this course. Our USCG approval includes the Navigation General practical exam, for which not all content is covered in this course. For your benefit, we have included access to practice Navigation General quizzes which pull from the USCG database of questions.
SCHEDULED EXAM/ASSESSMENT DATES:
To schedule an examination, please contact Registration by emailing us here or call +1 508 992-4025 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm.
The USCG Approval for this course includes: The professional examination requirements for increasing the scope of the following endorsements from near coastal to oceans:
- Second or Third Mate of self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage from near coastal to oceans; AND
- Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 500 or 1600 GRT; AND
- Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 200 GRT; AND
- Master or Mate of Uninspected Fishing Industry Vessels from near coastal to oceans,
- The Celestial Navigation training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(viii) for an STCW endorsement as OICNW on vessels of 500 GT; AND
- The celestial navigation assessments 1.1.A; 1.1.B; 1.1.C; 1.1.D; 1.1.E; and 1.1.F from NVICs 02-18 and 12-14(Ch-3), “Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch.”
4. Plotting triangles (2)
5. Dutton’s Nautical Navigation, 15th Edition (978-1557502483) RECOMMENDED
6. American Practical Navigator, Bowditch, 1981 (ASIN: B017DLYMJI)
7. Star Finder circular slide rule (many available on Amazon)
PRICE: $1250.00 USD
***EXTRA TUTORING DAYS AVAILABLE FOR $300 PER DAY.
Contact NMI’s registration office for tutoring: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hey there! Are you looking to purchase multiple USCG Approved online courses at once? View our complete course catalog here to add multiple courses to your cart and proceed with check-out.
Have any questions regarding maritime training? Email us here or call +1 508-992-4025 between the hours of 8am-5pm EST!