Under the STCW II/5, Able Seafarer – Deck, is a qualified rating at the STCW Support Level in the deck department on seagoing vessels of 500GT or more.
Duties include but are not limited to standing navigational watches, lookout watches, maintaining the safety and security, cargo and personnel and undertaking a range of practical seafarer skills covering rope work, anchoring, mooring activities and operations. An able seafarer must be able to work safely in enclosed spaces and at heights, and must also be able to respond to vessel emergencies; administer emergency first aid; carry out fire prevention and fire-fighting duties; be able to use survival techniques in the water; and be able to operate survival craft and rescue boats.
Each person serving as an able seafarer-deck, on a seagoing vessel of 500 GT or more must hold an STCW endorsement certifying him or her as qualified to perform the navigational function at the support level, on vessels subject to STCW. Additionally, each person serving as an able seaman (AB) on a seagoing vessel subject to the STCW Convention must also hold an STCW endorsement as able seafarer-deck. An individual meeting this requirement must also hold an STCW endorsement as ratings forming part of a navigational watch (RFPNW) or able seafarer-deck on domestic near-coastal voyages.
As of January 1, 2017, onboard a seagoing vessel of 500 GT or more, no person may serve, as an able seafarer-deck, except for in a training capacity, unless this person holds a valid STCW endorsement as II/5 Able Seafarer Deck.
• The USCG approval of this course requires on-site examination and assessments (1 1/2 - 2 days approximately). Please contact our Admissions Department at (508) 992-4025) for scheduling information. All online modules must be completed prior to beginning the examination and assessment process.
• Basic Training
• Proficiency in Survival Craft
• Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW)
Any applicant who has successfully completed your Able Seafarer-Deck (Blended) (NOREMI-1001) course and presents your Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of training, will satisfy:
• the written examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.405(a) for the Deck General and Navigation General, Deck Safety and Rules of the Road; AND,
• the Practical Marlinspike Seamanship Demonstration requirement of 46 CFR 12.405(c); AND,
• the following assessments from NVIC 14-14 (Ch-1) for an endorsement as Able Seafarer-Deck: Tasks 2.1.A, 2.1.B, 2.2.A, 2.5.A, 3.1.A, 3.2.A, 4.1.A, 4.2.A, 4.3.A, 4.4.A, 4.4.B, 4.4.C, 4.4.D, 4.5.A, 4.6.B, 4.6.C, 4.7.A, 4.8.A, 4.8.B, 4.9.A, 4.13.A, 5.1.A, 5.2.A, 5.3.A, 5.3.B, 5.3.C, 5.4.A, 5.5.A, 5.5.B, 5.5.C, 5.5.E, 5.6.A, 5.6.B, 5.6.C, 5.7.A, 5.8.A, 5.9.A, 5.10.A, 5.10.B, 6.1.A, 6.1.B, 6.2.A, 6.3.A, 8.1.A, 8.2.A, 8.3.A, 8.3.B, 8.4.A, 8.4.B, 8.5.A, and 8.6.A; AND,
• the training and all assessment requirements of 46 CFR 12.605(a)(3) and NVIC 06-14 for an endorsement as Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW). Applicants are not required to submit completed Task Assessment sheets when applying for these endorsements.
***NMI does not provide formal advice regarding USCG license eligibility and cannot guarantee an individual’s eligibility for any specific license or credential. NMI accepts no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or validity of general information provided. Information is provided purely as a courtesy, convenience and without cost. Individuals seeking confirmation of eligibility for any specific USCG license or credential must contact the USCG directly for an evaluation.
32 Washington Street | Fairhaven, Massachusetts 02719 USA | (508) 992-4025
MASSACHUSETTS DISCLOSURE INFORMATION
1. NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE HAS NO EXISTING AGREEMENT WITH EMPLOYERS TO PROVIDE JOBS TO STUDENTS AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE EMPLOYMENT.
2. MANY OF THE JOB LISTINGS PROVIDED BY NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE ARE COMPILED FROM PUBLIC SOURCES. THE SCHOOL MAY ALSO RECEIVE DIRECT REQUESTS FROM EMPLOYERS OR REFERRALS FOR JOB LISTINGS FROM GRADUATES WORKING IN THE FIELD, INSTRUCTORS, STAFF MEMBERS, EXTERN PROVIDERS, ETC.
3.NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE IS AN OPEN ADMISSIONS SCHOOL AND ADMITS ALL STUDENTS WHO MEET THE ADMISSION CRITERIA AS SET FORTH IN THE CATALOG.
4. THE CERTIFICATE OR DEGREE YOU OBTAIN FROM NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE UPON GRADUATION IS NOT THE SAME AS LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT, WHICH MAY BE REQUIRED FOR SOME
OCCUPATIONS, EMPLOYERS, OR STATES. THE COST OF ANY LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION OR THE COST OF ANY EXAMINATION FOR LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE TUITION COST OF THE PROGRAM AND IS ONLY INCLUDED IN THE TOTAL PROGRAM COST IF IT IS SPECIFICALLY ITEMIZED ON YOUR ENROLLMENT AGREEMENT.